Wednesday, April 29, 2009

How does that happen?

Today my girls had a Dentist appointment. I always expect to hear that Maddison has some crazy amount of cavities because she frequently eats glucose tabs and sucks down juice in the middle of the night. Nope. No cavities. Maddison must have her Dads "strong" teeth because she has still to this day, never had a cavity! I'm sure it helps that she didn't get her first tooth until well after turning 2! But, the same isn't so true for Hannah. She must have my "terrible" teeth. It seems I just look at something sugary sweet and a cavity appears. Impecable oral care, doesn't seem to matter for me! Hannah has a few small cavities but luckily they are all in baby teeth. Yep, Hannah didn't get her first tooth until she was 3 yrs old!!!! Poor thing, she is still loosing baby teeth while all her friends are getting their braces!

So how does that happen anyway? Why are some people so prone to cavities? Of course thinking of teeth and genetics makes me wonder about Diabetes. Am I more prone to suffer Diabetes complications because my Dad is? Why do some people maintain "stable" and lower A1c's and still end up with complications when others don't? How much of our health is really genetically determined? Thats a terrible question that I think I prefer to not have answered.

No comments: