Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Well THIS IS scary!!

After reading to Maddison before bed, we continued our nightly routine. She brushed her teeth, washed her hands and checked her sugar. 384. WEIRD. We have been hitting a too low 80ish before bed every night, so a a check for air bubbles was in line. YEP. There they are. I disconnected Maddison's pump, hit rewind, primed the bubbles out and hit escape back to the main screen to bolus the high. Reconnected, and heard the dreaded BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP. Medtronic. Any Medtronic users know what I did wrong? I didn't escape after priming as I thought. I escaped from the initial prime, but was still in prime mode! I *think* I primed insulin while Maddison was connected!!!!!!Not such an easy resolution when its 10pm and Maddison is sleeping!

Although the pump showed 0.00 flashing on the screen, the BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP has made it sound as though the insulin started to prime again. While connected to Maddison's tiny arm. Yeah. Not good! I really don't *think* that the insulin started to prime again since the 0.00 showed on the screen, but you have to be safe rather than sorry. Damn BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP. I'm replaying in my mind the millions of times I have primed bubbles out of the pump tubing, wondering if any insulin really starts to flow before the numbers start to count up the primed amount. I want to say this time I am safe from a MAJOR error I could have just made, but as always, Diabetes makes me doubt myself. I'm 99% sure the insulin didn't prime into Maddies tiny arm. That 1% chance is what I fear. SCARY thing the pump can be if you really aren't paying 100% attention! I've done this before! Kicking myself at this moment. Cussing myself out. We shall see what the next hour brings. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a pump that knew it was connected when priming? Wouldn't it be nice if the pump was smarter than us and refused to prime when attached?

2 comments:

Scott K. Johnson said...

That is scary! Sounds like it worked out fine though. I'm glad.

Wendy said...

Yeah...that's scary!!!!! YIKES!!!! Glad to hear she did okay and it wasn't anything to worry about after all.

This insulin stuff can make you crazy sometimes!!!