Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Monday

Monday was the telling day. After swimming for hours on Sunday, Maddison ran lower than I wanted through the night, (80's) as I expected. No matter what I did. What I didnt expect however, was a 50 Monday morning just an hour after breakfast. The school nurse was awesome. She treated Maddie's low with juice just as is written in her "plan." I was even more impressed when the Nurse gave Maddison 2 scoops of PB to hold her steady. I love our school nurse!

And then, the end of the day I got an email from the Nurse.

"Please be sure to give Maddison a protein with her breakfast each day. I see she had waffles for breakfast today, which explains her low this morning"

Now, picture me with my eyeballs popping out of my head. Irritated. If there is ONE THING I cannot STAND, its when the school nurse gives ME advice!! My email response was...

"Actually, Maddison has Waffles or Pancakes nearly every morning. Call us strange in our house, but on top of our Waffles and Pancakes we put Peanut Butter. Peanut Butter is a protein, and offers some healthy fats to also keep blood sugars more level. Maddison also drinks milk each morning, with a high protein chocolate powder. We have protein covered in this house, but thanks for watching out for her."

-Sigh- I just dont get why people think they can offer US advice. Its like a slap in the face. It doesnt matter if they mean well, its still a slap in the face! What I really wanted to say was...

Next Sunday when Maddison swims for many hours all day, why dont you come on by. It may seem simple to give an extra snack before bed to stop the after swimming lows that haunted me all night. It may seem simple to reduce her basal rate too. And, maybe you have something to suggest for the lows that come the day AFTER activity that I havent already tried. Did you know that after swimming routinely for a few days Maddison's entire insulin needs (basal and bolus, and correction factor!) will all change? Yes, they will. In the blink of an eye. Yes my friend, soon to come, all this swimming will actually change the way Maddison's little body metabolizes insulin.

If managing Diabetes was as easy as increasing protein, I think we'd all be just fine and dandy!

6 comments:

Meri said...

Ouch, that was a bad one. Kudos on showing restraint! I wouldn't have been so kind.

LaLa said...

You handled it very well - I know you wanted to give it to her! I would have too!

Yummy PB on waffles - what a great idea. Nate has a waffle every morning & loved PB. Thanks for the great tip! That will be so much easier than trying to force feed him a scrambled egg!!

Heather said...

Ran across your blog, and love it! Thanks for sharing. I also have a T1 kid. She is 4 and just diagnosed a year ago.

phonelady said...

Yes I agree with Meri I dont think I would have worded it so nicely either . Some school nurses have the I know better complex and I am as close to a dr as you will ever get complex . It makes me ill just to think that someone who does not live with this disease everyday thinks they can give us advice !!

MomOfType1 said...

Does the school nurse live with a diabetic child 24/7? I didn't think so. The only people I take advice like that from are endo's, diabetic trainers or nutritionists, and other Type 1 moms. Good job on showing restraint.
:)

Unknown said...

Wow - I agree with the others, you showed a lot of restraint where I'm sure I would have flipped.