Wednesday, January 12, 2011

5.7% WEIRD

Hannah's lab work came back today with everything perfectly fine. WEIRD. You'd think with the symptoms she's been having something would have been amiss. The doctor did mention that her blood work reflected a past Mono virus exposure, though it is not currently at levels that indicate it is active now. Or something like that. Her A1c was 5.7% which is up from her last one a few years back that was 5.5%

WEIRD. Hannah's 5.7% result sent me into a reading frenzy once again.

MODY. LADA. I spent endless hours researching genetic "types" of Diabetes after Maddison's diagnosis. I personally fit both MODY and LADA criteria, (3yr honeymoon, tiny basal rates, low Cpeptide, I never produce ketones or have unexplained highs) and then came Maddison...without any T1 antibodies. WEIRD.

So, Hannah's 5.7 today sent me back to reading and researching genetic types, even though our screening with U of Chicago years back cleared us of any known MODY types....I also did some reading again today about the virus that causes Mono. Epstein Barr. Did you know it is known to trigger the autoimmune destruction of the islet cells? Interesting. Of course 95% of the population has been exposed to the virus, yet only a tiny percentage go on to develop T1.

It is all just weird. Weird, weird. 5.7 up from 5.5 is WEIRD. So is MODY. So is LADA. So are my family genetics. So is a fasting number of 107.

Anyway, today Hannah is feeling much better. No more constant dizziness. She has had some random shooting pains in the "spleen" area and nausea after eating, but otherwise she seems to be on the mend. I sure hope so! This weekend is a MAJOR tournament that starts Friday night and could run as long as Monday if her team places well! You can bet I'll be stocking up on Gatorade! I LOVE G2!! WEIRDNESS behind us...time to move forward!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well I'm just catching up...and I'm SO HAPPY to be starting at this end!!!!

WHEW...perusing back through the other posts, my stomach was in knots!!!

I can't even imagine what it must have been like for you guys. WHEW!

Unknown said...

Kelly, I am so glad she is feeling better. I have been worried for you guys.

What is the margin for error on the A1C? Did the MD say not to worry about the 5.7?