Sunday, December 16, 2007

The backseat

This weekend Diabetes took the back seat. It wasn't an issue or a concern amidst a weekend of busy fun. That is the way it should always be. Not that numbers were great. Maddison is still running a bit high from her cold. Then she had lows all night Saturday night thanks to a not so good choice in basal adjustment on my part. But, for the first time in a long time I chose not to stress about it. It was what it was, we corrected and I continued without the guilty feelings I usually have. I guess the busier we are, the more the numbers fall into the background. The more occupied my time the less I worry.

We had Friday night birthday/early Christmas celebration at Grandma's. Saturday was the JDRF ceramics painting even to create artwork for the Promise Ball in January. Then we headed to my sister's house in Gilbert for another early Christmas. My new nephew is 4weeks old, and I didn't want to put him down. I was sad that my kids have grown so independent. I was proud of the girls they have become. But I miss the days of sitting on the couch with a nursing baby. If I didn't have Diabetes, I think I would almost consider having another baby. I had my kids at age 19 and 23....I think a mom at 30 would be alot different. I would probably be alot more tired, and a little less fun. But I think it would be alot different than kids in my early 20's. I sure can say I would do ALOT different. You learn the hard way I guess. Today we had our local support group Christmas party at the park. It was so nice to see everyone again. There is alot to be said about knowing others deal with this Diabetes game every day. It makes you feel less alone, and helps reassure that yes, we are doing the best we can and we all go through the same craziness.

So hooray for me! I have let Diabetes take the back seat this weekend even with not so good numbers. That itself is a step ahead for me. We had great fun without my constant worry for a change. It is just like I was told in the beginning, it doesn't get easier...you just learn to deal with it and move on. Isn't that the truth?

No comments: