Saturday, January 2, 2010

Post surgery day 4

Today Dad is much more mentally there, but we are fearing his Hemodialysis again tomorrow will put him right back where he was with the Delirium. He is on anti-anxiety meds which help him rest. Now that he is eating (SF pudding, applesauce, cream of wheat) his BS spikes close to the 300's and all they do is correct the high. Then he eats another meal. I dont get why they dont prevent the high. He is only on Lantus, why dont they cover the food to keep his BS in tight range and help healing!!?? I requested they call an Endo consult, but really, thats the least of our worries right now I'm sure. (The nurse did put in a call to the Endo though)

Dad's WBC just came back even more elevated than yesterday, 28K. He has an infection. Most likely pneumonia. He still has his main chest tube in, and its removing LOTS of fluids. Please pray that his infection is controlled. Infection has been our biggest concern for this surgery. I cant believe thats what we are actually facing right now.

Dad is comfortable, says he has minimal pain.....but also has repeated himself all day saying he can't do this anymore. Then he fades in and out of consciousness, waking up mentally out of it and saying something about killing himself. I'm sure thats all the meds and his altered mental state, but it still hurts to hear it.

4 comments:

Hallie Addington said...

Oh Kelly. I am so sorry. We will keep lifting you up in prayer. What a horrific time for you. I pray you will feel God's presence with you each day, bringing you some kind of peace and comfort and reassurance. with love....

Jennifer said...

I can not even begin to imagine the emotions that you and your family are going through during this time. You are doing an amazing job staying strong. You are in my thoughts.

phonelady said...

I will continue to pray for your dads health and recovery and your family my dear . Many hugs to you and your family .

Amy said...

Kelly- Continuing to pray for you and your family as you deal with this! I'm so sorry...this just sucks.....