Thursday, February 5, 2009

SUSPEND

Weather here in AZ yesterday was 81 degrees! Is this the "reason" for Maddison's more frequent lows or is it my Diabetes superstition from when the DR asked how often Maddison has lows? Hmmmmm.....Before bed last night Maddison was 264, I assumed the liver gave back after 3 afternoon lows. How nice of Mr Liver to keep Maddison safe hours later. I corrected, but decided that I didn't want to correct in full while the insulin was still dosing. (Full corrections have been taking her a bit too low at night with all the playing outside lately!!) The insulin dosing could be seen counting down on the pump screen...... .1, .2, .3, SUSPEND....I suspended her pump just in time to stop the correction where I wanted it. -whew!-

Two hours later when I got up to check on Maddison she was still 240's. Strange I thought, that correction didn't budge her. I figured I made the wrong choice and should have corrected her in full. Did I mention I don't like guessing games? So, I roll Maddison over to find her pump safely in her pump pack. Do you know what that silly pump said? It flashed the word SUSPEND!!! WHAT!!?? NOooooooo!! I already learned this lesson once before, the HARD way! Not again! I had left her pump in suspense mode which means she didn't get any of her basal insulin for those two hours! I was so irritated with myself for making this mistake yet again! I must say though, I was quite shocked and relieved that she wasn't higher than the 240's! It could have been so MUCH worse. I gave extra for the correction calculating in the missed basal and she was a nice 118 when she started her day! YAY! But, there goes yet another night getting closer to deciding on the basal changes that were made weeks ago! -sigh- (Scott, this reminds me of your Spider post that is the funniest thing I have EVER read!! Obviously, I can totally relate to a million things interfering with basal testing!

On a better note, last night Maddison had a visit from the tooth fairy! She was so excited. That crazy fairy left her $5 for her tooth! Seems she spent alot of time polishing that tooth after it fell out yesterday. I told her I wished she polished ALL her teeth so well, not just when the tooth fairy comes! This being just her 2nd lost tooth, (yes she is 8!) I guess the tooth fairy was extra generous. I think I used to get 50 cents from that same tooth fairy when I was a kid!

3 comments:

:) Tracie said...

That's the part of this disease I hate when dealing with my daughter. When you think you finally "get" it, welcome Mr. Wrench in the mix! There's SO MUCH to remember that it's overwhelming at times. Good catch and even better that she stayed in a "ok" range, considering.

Scott K. Johnson said...

Ha! The spider post! I still have a very strong mental image of that damn furry spider! :-)

Unknown said...

I once filled my reservoir right before bed. Then I forgot to prime...
Needless to say, I woke up really high... ;)