Monday, May 5, 2008

Add another cousin to the list

Today our cousin was diagnosed with Type 1 at the age of 33. I promised to always remember the heart ache of that day so as not to minimize the shock and emotions when someone new is diagnosed. It turns your world upside down. After 2 years of living with my Diabetes it is just there, a part of what I do every day. It is habit and routine. Totally accepted, I just do what I have to do. I don't think I will ever get to that point with Maddison's Diabetes. Is that possible with a child?

I never thought I would be sitting here thinking it is "no big deal" to be diagnosed with Diabetes. Don't get me wrong, it is a huge deal...but for some reason when it is an adult I don't really feel the same emotions about it. I remember how I felt, and I know it is likely every person will go through those emotions too. When it is a child though, my heart skips a beat and tears come to my eyes, each and every time. It sends me into a sadness for awhile that I just can't shake. I guess I would say to a newly diagnosed adult that although your heart breaks and you are consumed with fear and grief, it is important that you educate yourself and you will be fine! I would NEVER say that to a parent with a newly diagnosed child. Why? Because Diabetes in a child is heartbreaking. It consumes so much of your life, because every day is changing. You all know how I feel about this.

Maddison summed it up perfectly today when she heard the sad news and said "Well at least it isn't cancer!" She must have heard me talk about how people say that when they dont know what else to say. But, she reminded me today that we are lucky. Even though I am battling her highs after pink eye and my PMS roller coaster, we are here and healthy. Leave it to your 7yr old to put your life back into perspective. :)

No comments: