Tuesday, July 27, 2010

One week

Hannah left for her cruise to the Cayman Islands (8th grade promotion gift from her Auntie) on Sunday night. Its only been 48 hours since Hannah left, but I miss her terribly. One whole week Hannah will be gone. This will be a very long, quiet time in our house. Its just not the same without Hannah here, my sunshine is gone for 5 more days!!

Hannah typically spends at least 4 days a week with her friends throughout the summer. Alot of times all the girls gather here, but Hannah also does alot of bouncing from each friends house to the next, so we have strangely grown used to her not being here as much as she used to be. These girls travel in a pack. I love each and every one of them. They are such a fun, silly, happy bunch of girls. The silence in our house right now is deadly without them here. I can't wait till Hannah is back home!!

Hannah's trip makes me think......One week is the same amount of time that our D kids spend away at camp. One WEEK? One week without contact? One week without Maddison's sweet voice? Why doesn't the camp let you talk to your kid for a week? Cant I just call her each night before bed? I just dont get that. Maddison *could* have gone to camp this year. And last year. And the year before that. Its totally MY issue....I just can't shake the fact that when I actually FORCE myself to send Maddison to camp I wont hear her voice or see her beautiful smile for A WHOLE WEEK!I'm two days without my Hannah and I miss her already! Send my D child to camp for a WEEK without ANY contact? -UGH-

Hannah is healthy. I am not her Pancreas. I do not keep her alive with a precious medication and 24/7 diligence. I can send Hannah off with nothing but excitement for the adventure before her. We just can't do that when it comes to our D kids. The worry. The what ifs. Giving up management of a life threatening disease? It can all eat you alive.

I know, silly me, I'm missing my Hannah and already thinking about Maddison's week away at camp next year!

Our long boring summer is coming to an end. Two weeks left! Im SO looking forward to getting back on a schedule, but I'm not looking forward to the worry and stress that a new school year brings with Diabetes. Maddison's numbers will go bonkers. Thats a given. I worry how long it will take to gain back "control." I'll spend endless hours tracking numbers and making insulin and food adjustments. I'll have sleepless nights trying to get the new basal rates set for different sleeping hours. Meeting the teacher, explaining Diabetes. Helping Maddison feel comfortable in a new class without feeling like "the girl with Diabetes." Working through all the new details of a testing and eating schedules at school, educating the bus driver, the new PE teacher......its exhausting. Good thing all us D moms have each other! Life's about to get back to CRAZY!

No comments: