Friday, January 20, 2012

Two Years Free

Two years ago today my Dad was taken off life support.

I never thought I could move past the anger in my heart for what he endured those last weeks before we made this decision.

I never thought I would forget what it was like watching him slowly succumb to his disease over the years.

I never thought my heart would heal from the sorrow, emptiness and pain I felt losing him....

Somehow, broken hearts can mend.

Today I remember most that Dad passed away peacefully. Within minutes. With family surrounding him. He left behind a life of constant pain and illness. In those few moments of his passing, my heart was also set free.

No more seeing his pain, and watching him suffer.

He was freed.
No more complications from surgery.
No more heart disease.
No more Diabetes.
No more Neuropathy.
No more Dialysis.
No more back pain.
No more blindness.
Simply, no more. Just-Like-That.

Peaceful.

Two years.

Two years FREE.

It seems an eternity since I've heard my Dads contagious laughter, yet it still echos in my mind. I think of him every day as I tend to my garden, for it was him that taught me the love and joy in doing so. Watching my garden grow keeps him close in my heart.

He is with me in my weakest moments, especially those times I struggle managing Diabetes for both Maddison and I. Thinking of him moves me past the emotional struggles, and keeps me focused on not letting the hard times get me down. He is on my mind with every word I speak towards Diabetes advocacy....and with me everytime low blood sugars turn scary. Thinking of him carries me through.

It is strange how your heart can miss someone so much, yet be at peace all the same.

Eternal memories.
Eternal love.
Eternal peace.

David Lee Mckim
10/20/1945 to 1/20/2009

From DAD


From DAD

2 comments:

Misty said...

Kelly, what a bitter sweet post. It is so nice that you have found peace, yet I'm so sorry that your father had to endure so much. Hoping you are blessed with wonderful memories today. Hugs to you!

Scott K. Johnson said...

Beautiful post Kelly.

I love this line:
"It is strange how your heart can miss someone so much, yet be at peace all the same."

So true.