Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A Month (!!!!!!!!!)

WOW! Its been nearly a month since I blogged last! Simply said, I haven't had much to say. Diabetes has been amazingly "easy" and uneventful for both Maddison and I, which is awesome because Maddison has an Endo appointment next week! Maybe for once I will actually agree with the A1c results! (I always think it comes back lower than it should be)

We have also been very busy with the end of Hannah's club Vball season (Hannah lead the team to place 9th out of 65 Regional teams!) and Maddison completed Beginner 1 agility classes with her ferocious little Callie. Callie and Maddison have moved on to level 2 training which ends in just two weeks! Of course....It is also baby bird season ya know!
From birds

This year Maddison (and her Momma Pancreas) have been putting in extra hours at Fallen Feathers Bird Rescue. This is Maddison's 4th year volunteering! Maddison has moved up from being the designated Duckling care taker to an all around "bird rehab" girl. Maddison spends time every day after school doing anything and everything that needs to be done to keep Fallen Feathers residents happy and healthy. Last week Maddison even missed a day of school to help Fallen Feathers present educational programs at a few local schools! By far, Maddison's favorite part of volunteering! This has been a crazy busy season of Ducklings!
From ducklings


I can FINALLY say Im back into my good old morning workout routine (which helps the real "ME" fall back into place) I cant believe its been over a YEAR since I've routinely done any workouts!! GASP!!! My jiggly jello legs are quickly shaping back up after just 3 weeks, the "muffin tops" Ive been sporting lately are shrinking quickly, AND I have my ZOOM back! Thank goodness for interval training and free weights! Goodbye to lazy winter couch days, and ignoring the chores that sit and wait. Hallelujah. With workouts come less of a spike in my numbers after eating, and the best part is my "diet" improves dramatically (who wants to eat crap after a butt busting workout?) and cravings for all the carby junk foods diminish. (Unless its PMS week of course!) I'm back to ME with 99% of my sugar checks coming in under 120!!! Thank goodness I'm finally back to ME!!

Tomorrow is the last day of school!! Maddison will officially walk away from 4th grade and Hannah will be a SOPHOMORE next year. -Sigh- Where have my baby girls gone?
With school ending that means DIABETES CAMP is just a few short weeks away. As each day passes I think Im closer and closer to freaking out. 7 days!! Maddison will be gone for 7 days!!!!!!

Im not worried about Maddison having highs. In fact, I'd love it if her numbers hung around 200 for the entire 7 days. That would be safe. I am TERRIFIED of lows in the night! TERRIFIED!! I just dont understand how for 7 days a total stranger is going to take my place as her Pancreas. Camp will mean hiking, biking, swimming, excitement, running, jumping, horse riding, boating, fishing, new foods, even different weather JUST AS everything begins to change from the school year ending and summer beginning! Im terrified of her going low at night, 100 miles away at camp!!! How will I ever sleep that week?

Maddison is SO excited for camp, but I just want to pretend this isnt for real. I am excited for her, but yet terrified at the same time. If I know my Maddison, she will be aching to come after day 3 or 4. Oh why oh why cant camp be just 3 or 4 days long?

I just realized our pump warranty is up June 4th, the same day Maddison leaves for camp! -GASP- I better get on the phone with Medtronic, two brand new purple REVELS are in our very near future :)

And last but not least, tomorrow as I pick up Maddison from her last day of school I already know I will have to fight back tears. This will be Maddison's last year at the school that has kept her safe and healthy since her diagnosis in first grade. We will be moving out of district this Summer, and I'm emotional right now as I think about it! Leaving our school Nurse is leaving the comfort of knowing Maddison is in the care of someone who not only "gets it" but also knows Maddison inside and out. Our school nurses can tell when Maddison "looks" low. They trust her when she says she is dropping. They know when she has "forgotten" to clean her finger before a poke. They know when she is not acting like herself. They know her pump. They know PE days. They know when she is trying to get out of Math. They know!!

Our school nurse (and Nurses Aide) have been a HUGE contributing factor to Maddison's health (they always knows how to "bump" Maddi up a tad without over doing it!) and Diabetes attitude all these years. Our school nurse knows Maddison AND her Diabetes **almost** as well as I do. :) Our school Nurse has helped Maddison grow into a more responsible and confident child with Diabetes. She has talked Maddi through hard times when she was angry with school and responsibilities. She has taught Maddison so much over the past 5 school years, that I honestly dont know where to begin. Our school Nurse has been THE MOST important person in Maddison's school life. (We always get the crazy teachers!) Words could never say enough how much I appreciate and adore them.

On the other hand, the sadness (and fear!) of leaving our Nurse is mixed with optimism for Maddison's academic future. I'm certain that academically Maddison will FINALLY be in the right place next year for 5th grade. (We already have her Variance approval) We have struggled with our current school every year trying to get Maddison the special education services that she needs, despite having an IEP. Some schools just dont "get it" when it comes to the "No Child Left Behind" act. I have no doubt in my mind that Maddi's new school will be a much needed change to better her education.

So thats whats up in a month! Bring on the Summer of CHANGE. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! That's a heck of a lot of news for nothing to talk about, girlie :)

LOVE THE VBALL.

LOVE THE BIRDS.

LOVE THAT YOU'RE BACK IN YOUR GROOVE.

But...where are you moving? And camp. C-A-M-P!!!!! WOW!!!!!! I'm on the edge of my seat ;)

Heidi / D-Tales said...

I love Maddison's passion for furry and feathered friends.

Congrats to Hannah on such a successful vball season!

I need some of your motivation to get me to work out again.

I feel the same about our school nurse. I'm so grateful for her good care.

It sounds as if this move will be a good for Maddi, despite saying good-bye to your nurse.

Bring on the summer of change! :)